We made a step by step instruction for how to download and use Zoom to join a meeting or a live class.
We also heard a lot of questions and concerns to use the Zoom. Here are the frequently asked questions and answers.
1. Q: What is Zoom?
Zoom is a website on the internet that allows you to have conversations with other people while being able to see them. It is a video conference call! We are using Zoom to host our online classes so that you can continue to move and learn, just like you would at the centre, in the privacy of your own space.
2. Q: I’ve heard about Zoom on the news. Is it safe?
Zoom has been in the news recently because some of their online meetings have had people jump into them uninvited. We have worked around that by creating heightened security measures. These include:
- Sending each person an invitation to join the meeting that contains an embedded password.
- When you join the meeting, participants will be put into a “waiting room”. They will need to be admitted to the room by the Westend Seniors staff member.
- Email addresses are used by Westend Seniors staff only to invite members to participate. The addresses are not provided to any third party, including the instructor. We take your privacy very seriously!
3. Q: I don’t want people to see myself or my home on the screen. Can I hide it?
Absolutely! It is as easy as pressing a button. You simply press the camera button and no one can see you working out in your pyjamas! We simply ask that you check in with your instructor at the end of class so that we can confirm that you are well before leaving. We want you to know that your safety during the classes is important to us!
4. Q: I don’t know how to use Zoom. Will you teach me?
We are happy to help! We are organizing trial runs for Zoom to ensure everyone feels comfortable with the program before classes start. If you would like to be added to a trial run, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will connect with you soon to ensure that you are confident to use Zoom for your classes.
5. Q: Does Zoom cost anything?
Zoom is FREE for you to use to take the classes through Westend Seniors Activity Centre. The only charge you will need to pay is for some of the classes that cost money. You can see a full listing of our classes on MyActiveCentre. You will see that there are a few classes that are for a charge, but there are also many that are absolutely free!
6. Q: How do I get access to my online class?
Getting access to your class is as easy as sending us your email address! As stated in the course descriptions, please send us your email address at the time of registration. Then, we will send you an email with a link to click to join the class. That’s it! If you would like to try it out before your class starts, just let us know. We are happy to give it a try with you before your class start date.