Our annual Volunteer Appreciation event will be held on Thursday, April 18 from 1:30 -3:00 pm. We would love to see all your beautiful smiling faces on that day.
Did you know that in 2018, our volunteers together put in 116,801 hours! They selflessly contributed $175,211 value of work to the Westend Seniors Activity Centre.
SPRING/SUMMER PROGRAM GUIDE
You will love our latest Spring & Summer 2019 Program Guide! Here is some exciting news I would like to share with you:
- On the first day of registration (March 25), we recorded over $18,000 in registration revenue, which broke every single revenue record in WSAC’s history for first day registrations.
- We had members (who are currently traveling in the US and Mexico) register for classes online and phone the Centre. Just to help you understand the scope of improvement: last year around this time, we had very few registered classes and mostly drop-in activities in the Spring and Summer. What a change in just 6 months! A huge thank you to the entire staff team for putting this program guide together. Also a huuuuuuuuge thank you to our front desk ladies who worked on that day! They are the Super Myrna, Super Lynne, and Super Gail.
NEW SOUND SYSTEM
If you are taking fitness classes in the Auditorium, I hope you are enjoying the new sound system that has made our instructors’ lives much easier and enhanced the experiences of your participation.
OUR SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
We only launched our e-Newsletter and official Facebook page a few months ago, and now we have:
- 1,055 subscribers to our monthly e-newsletter. If you have not signed up yet, we hope you will the next time you are at the centre!
- 589 followers on Facebook. If you are following our facebook page, please remember to hit “share” to help spread the word about the events and activities here at our centre!
Through our digital platform, our members have been connected to the latest seniors-focused information all year round.
MY DIAMOND TEAM
Again, I would like to thank my staff team for making WSAC one of the best senior centres in Edmonton. As I mentioned in the Annual Report, this team is a “Diamond” Team. Just like how people measure the quality of a diamond by using the 4 Cs – our Staff team is Cohesive, Collaborative, Creative and Cultural Diverse. With the support and dedication of this team, I look forward to a very successful 2019.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The Westend Seniors Activity Centre is a charitable non-profit organization. We rely on funds from three levels of government and we apply for funding every year to help this Organization maintain its financial stability.
- As I mentioned above, I have a “Diamond” team. However, our staff are not government employees and receive no government-level salaries and benefits. And most importantly, due to the limited funding, many of us are part-time staff. The reason why our talented staff are working so hard to bring WSAC to a leader level in the senior centre sector is because they sincerely love seniors and love serving seniors.
- WSAC is fortunate to receive support from our volunteers. I want to emphasize three groups: our front desk ladies, kitchen helpers, and the Board. They are your peers and they are selflessly serving you because they love this Organization from the bottom of their hearts.
- Our Centre is one of the three Senior Centres that is not City-owned. Our Centre has to look for financial support from different sources to maintain our building. The Volunteer-based Facility Committee has devoted thousands and thousands of hours to help lower the cost of looking after this big building.
HOW YOU CAN HELP!
We need all the support from our members. If you’re proud of being part of this Centre, please be our ambassadors and advocates. Talk to your families and friends, talk to the businesses that you’re dealing with, and talk to the three levels of Government so that they know Westend Seniors Activity Centre is one of the senior Centres that sincerely cares about seniors and wants to help seniors enhance their quality of life, reduce social isolation and achieve the ultimate goal – aging in place/communities