“Based on the statement issued by Dr. Hinshaw (please read her statement below), the Westend Seniors Activity Centre Board & Administration has made the following operational decisions to protect the members and staff of our centre:”
- Members who have recently been traveling and have returned to Canada within the last 14 days are NOT allowed to enter the centre or participate in activities until the 14 days has expired, as per Alberta Health Services.
- Please understand we have not made the above decision lightly. We understand that some members may feel we are over reacting and may not agree with our decision. However, our priority is protecting our staff and our members, who are the most vulnerable to this pandemic.
- Therefore, members who have been outside Canada within the last 14 days and who ignore the above, will be in violation of the WSAC’s Policies. and will be subject to disciplinary action.
WSAC MEMBERS PLEASE ALSO NOTE:
If you are sick with a fever or cough OR you have recently returned from outside of Canada…Please contact WSAC staff to update us on your condition and advise our office if you need any assistance. We are here to help.
email@example.com or call us at 780 483-1209
Policy Regarding Program Refunds in Relation to COVID-19
- The WSAC staff team will decide daily how best to proceed with program operations. As of March 12th, we will be running programs, and as such, no refunds will be provided outside of our regular refund policy. The regular refund policy states that refunds are offered prior to the class start date and with a medical note provided.
- Should programs be cancelled by WSAC due to COVID-19, or for any other reason, refunds will be provided to members. Refunds will be pro-rated, based on the number of days the program service was available.
- Our current policy regarding COVID-19 states that anyone who has travelled outside of the country within the past 14 days MUST remain out of the building. In such circumstances, members may submit their refund request, in writing, along with proof of travel documentation, to the Programs Department. Submissions can be emailed to Shelley Kulak, Recreation Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Policy Regarding Exercise Equipment
Please note, that effective immediately, all exercise bands and soft yoga blocks and mats will be removed from the centre. We encourage members to provide their own equipment and clean it on a regular basis.
Policy Regarding Travel Trips
Travel Trips during the months of March and April have been cancelled. They include the theatre production, “Legally Blonde” and the trip to the Bountiful Market. Full refunds will be processed during the week of March 16 – 20.
Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw issued the following statement for Albertans on March 12th:
“I first want to speak on the World Health Organization’s decision to officially declare COVID-19 a global pandemic
- “This is an important designation, and one that reflects the seriousness of this virus. COVID-19 is not like other threats we have seen in the past few decades. It is more severe than seasonal influenza, and more contagious than viruses like SARS.”
- “Today’s declaration from the WHO is a sign of what we have been stressing for many days: The global situation is changing rapidly, and we all need to take steps to protect our own health and the health of those around us.”
- “Based on this evolving information, Alberta is now asking all travellers returning from Italy to self-isolate for 14 days have passed since their last visit.
- “All returning travellers at Canadian airports, including those in Edmonton and Calgary, will receive screening starting on Friday and be advised of the need to self-isolate.”
- “We are also recommending at this time that anyone over the age of 65 and those with chronic health conditions not travel outside Canada, as the global risk is increasing rapidly and it is difficult to predict which travel destinations may put people at risk. Even Albertans who are not in these risk groups should think carefully about their travel plans, and the possibility they may be exposed to the virus while travelling.”