Nomination Day for the 2020 Board of Directors election is Wednesday, January 29th.
How many positions are to be filled in this election?
Eight. These are the position of President (who serves a one-year term) and seven Director positions (Directors serve two-year terms).
Who is eligible to run?
To be eligible a candidate:
– must currently be an Ordinary or Lifetime Member of the Westend Seniors Activity Centre (WSAC),
– if an Ordinary WSAC Member, must also have been an Ordinary Member for at least a year when nominated,
– must be nominated by another person who is currently an Ordinary or Lifetime WSAC Member, and
– must submit a correctly completed Nomination Form to the Returning Officer by 4:30 p.m. on Nomination Day.
Where can I get a Nomination Form?
Presidential Nomination Forms and Director Nomination Forms are available at the Front desk starting on Monday, January 6th.
What are the key responsibilities of the President?
The President leads and speaks for the Board, presides over Board meetings and WSAC’s Annual General Meeting, and supervises the Executive Director on behalf of the Board. As well the President chairs the Executive Committee and the Human Resources Committee, and is an ex officio member of all other Board committees.
What are the key responsibilities of the Directors?
The Directors of the Westend Seniors Activity Centre have the following important responsibilities:
– reviewing and approving WSAC’s Policies,
– approving its strategic plan and budget, and modifying either or both if appropriate,
– promoting the objectives of WSAC and membership in our organization, and
– encouraging participation in our programs, services, and activities.
Directors are also expected to attend the monthly Board meetings, serve on one or more Board committees (such as the Finance Committee, the Planning Committee, the Policy Committee, and the Nominations Committee), and abide by the Board Member Code of Conduct. In addition, the Board selects one of the Directors to be the Vice President and another to be the Treasurer.
More important information about the Board and about Board elections is available in our Bylaws and in the WESTEND SENIORS ACTIVITY CENTRE POLICY MANUAL.
The most relevant Policies are the following:
– Board Policy B 2 – BOARD AUTHORITY AND EXPECTATIONS,
– Board Policy B 3 – BOARD AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES,
– Board Policy B 6 – BOARD STANDING AND AD HOC COMMITTEES,
– Board Policy B 7 – NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS, and
– Board Policy B 8 – RETURNING OFFICER.
Completed Nomination Forms should be handed in at the front desk.
Any other questions?
These should be referred to our Executive Director, Haidong Liang, who is also the Returning Officer. He will either reply directly or refer the question or questions to someone else who can respond.